You’ll find all buildings need to be dry, well ventilated, comfortable and balanced …
The home’s interior is like what’s under your skin, and if all the materials and elements are doing their job, they work together to provide comfort and wellbeing to the occupants. Good interiors provide comfort, quality air, dryness and require regular maintenance to balance this indoor environment.
You can …. improve levels of indoor condensation on windows …
Potential surface mould presenting on window frames and glass can be due to condensation due to poor insulative properties of single glazed panes, screens, aluminum window frames and cool, trickle air being trapped behind blinds, shutters and / or curtains. Dust trapped in frames and on glass then becomes food for mould.
- Ensure adequate air flow by opening windows and blinds, shutters and /or curtains to reduce the risk of condensation forming.
- Regularly squeeging condensation and cleaning windows in conjunction with damp dusting and vacuuming window frames will reduce the risk for mould growth.
- Regularly washing soft window furnishings – yearly.
- Cleaning hard surfaced window furnishings by dusting and using fermented white vinegar solution seasonally.
You can … reduce the possibility of moisture and mould contamination …
Improve ventilation in building interior:
- By opening doors and windows.
- Ventilate! Ventilate! Ventilate!
- Air circulation moves warmth to cool surfaces
- Air exchange between indoor and outdoor air
Improve ventilation with easy management level activities indoors:
- Moving furniture and declutter
- Lower indoor humidity with a dehumidifier
- Adequate ventilation, heating and air conditioning ensures indoor relative humidity is maintained below 55% as much as possible
- HVAC systems should be fit for the purpose of the room and relevant to the outdoor climate
Improve the source of moisture in the kitchen:
- Operate extractor fan for at least 15 minutes after cooking
- Keep the windows open
- Check and clean extractor and air vents every 6 months from grease, fats and oil residues trapped in filters.
- Amaze Filter Clean 100% Biodegradable Non-Toxic Filter Cleaner I’ve trialled and found to be very effective
- Dry surfaces around sinks, taps, benchtops, tiles, grout and silicone seals with absorbent cloth
- Replace daily cleaning kitchen cloths within 48 hours
- Duct extractor fan exhaust to outside building (Requires a professional builder)
- Put a lid on saucepans to keep the steam contained
- Stop kettles beyond boiling point
- Check fridge is operating efficiently and sealed sufficiently to prevent condensation on exterior panels
Improve the source of moisture in the laundry:
- Dry washing outside whenever possible in order to prevent biological contaminants from growing
- Use a condensor dryer
Improve dryness in the bedroom:
- Keep beds unmade – you will love this 😊
- Frequently air bedding – mattresses, pillows, rugs, curtains in the fresh air and sun light
- Keep mattresses off the floor
- Keep under beds and chairs clutter free to provide air flow
- Replace pillows every 2 years as they contain moisture, bacteria, dust mites and their faeces
- Leave wardrobe doors slightly open to allow air to circulate
Improve dryness in the living area:
- By opening doors and windows at either end of the building
- Move furniture and beds away from walls and corners by at least 15 cm to promote air and heat circulation. Leave doors to cupboards and wardrobes open to air them.
- Place door snakes on the bottom of doors to stop cold draughts mixing with indoor warmth
- Declutter! Provides dry environment with adequate air flow and light
- Vacuum rugs and take outside to air in natural light
- Check indoor plants regularly to avoid over watering and source of mould
- Avoid storing large amounts of documents, newspapers, carboard – porous material that absorbs moisture easily
- Scan or store valuable paper in dry sealed plastic containers
- Remove shoes at front door ensures not only removing dust and chemicals from inside your home, also moisture
- Remove over coats and dry in an area away from inside the home
- Improve indoor air quality with a dehumidifier and / or an air purifier where you need it most – bedroom where you sleep and regenerate, lounge where you play, study and work – move the unit with you.
In my opinion you may wish to consider these resources …
Improve air quality in non-ventilated rooms, read about it here:
- Zeolite Bag of Rocks for wardrobes, cabinets and rooms – absorbs moisture and odours. Simply pop it out in the sun, does not change, between 10 am and 2 pm to get the most from nature.
- Dampp Chaser Storage Dehumidifiers, in confined spaces like wardrobes, warm air rises, replaces cold air, warms and dries space to keep your valuables dry in your wardrobes, cupboards. Electrical outlets are required to plug these in.
- Dehumidifier maintain indoor relative humidity between 45 and 55%. In light of client mentioning there was no indication on dehumidifier, consider purchasing a hygrometer from hardware store.
- An Air Purifier for your space – purifies air from contaminants including particulates, gases and viruses.
- Contact our inhouse Principal Consultant Tony Parr on 02 9986 432 who provides professional feedback on hiring Air Purifier or purchase from our range.
An air conditioner professional may be engaged to ensure adequate indoor air quality to interior areas are in place to facilitate fresh air, no odourous or stale air, and interiors are not susceptible to potential moisture and offensive associated contaminants.
You can … reduce your exposure to house dust, dust mites and their allergens
- Service to clean mattresses, carpets and soft furnishings: Engage a professional using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter and power head.
- See Building Biologist Blog Post: How to Identify and Remove Indoor Dust
- Visual Contrast Sensitivity Test: vcstest.com
- Consulting with your integrative physician Dr Christabelle and the team at Next Generaton Practice who are familiar with contaminant sensitivities to assess the extent of possible adverse health effects due to the potential exposure to mould.
Vacuum Cleaners with Power Head and HEPA filters (Prices @ 2018):
- Sauber Intelligence SI-200 $1600 Godfreys
- Hoover Regal Bagged or Bagless $1000 Godfreys
- Hoover Allergy Bag or Bagless $700 Godfreys
- Read Building Biologist Blog Post: How to Vacuum Your Home Like a Pro
- Abode Laundry, Bathroom, Kitchen cleaning products that are safe, natural essential oil aroma and fragrant free sourced at tyour local Health Food Store
- Read Building Biologist Blog Post: Non Toxic Laundry and Cleaning Review