Most homes have carpeted spaces. But, whether its a carpet placed in your living room or the wall-to-wall carpet in the bedroom, carpets contain all sorts of germs and bacteria, as well as mould, pet dander, dust, animal feces and anything else that your feet drag in, so cleaning carpets naturally is important.
A dirty carpet is bad for the health of your family, especially if you have a young child or if someone is prone to allergies. While chemical based cleaning products are effective at cleaning the carpet, they contaminate the air in your home.
Instead of using chemical based carpet cleaning products, try these useful tips for keeping your carpets clean naturally.
Keep the dirt out
As they say prevention is better than cure, so avoid getting the carpet dirty in the first place.
1. Now this may take some getting used to, but if you want to reduce the presence of dust and other allergens in the carpeted area, have your family members remove their shoes when they enter the house, or the room that is carpeted. Place a shoe rack at the entrance of your home to slip into your home slippers or shoes (which are to be worn only inside the house).
2. Place large doormats at all the entrances to your house and ask everyone to wipe their feet before entering.
3. Vacuum the carpet once or twice a week using a HEPA vacuum cleaner. Frequent vacuuming will reduce the presence of dust mites, a common cause of allergic reactions.
6 Tips for Cleaning Carpets Naturally
Try as you may to keep your carpet clean, there will be that occasional wine spill or stubborn food stain. Here are 6 tips for cleaning carpets naturally and getting rid of tough strains without using chemicals –
1. Have your carpet steam cleaned once a year. If you are getting the carpet cleaned through a professional service, ensure that they do not use detergent. The hot water by itself will remove considerable amount of dirt. Let the carpet dry fully.
2. Clean any spills on the carpet immediately to prevent germ infestation. Dab dry the wet carpet area using paper towels. Never rub a stain on the carpet because it will only make it worse. Remove stains by sprinkling a bit of baking soda (cornstarch, or cornmeal will also do). Let the baking soda sit on the stain for a few hours before dabbing clean with very hot water.
3. Another natural cleaning ingredient you can use is vinegar. Mix one-third portion of vinegar with two-thirds portion of warm water. Apply to the stain and blot clean with a towel. Repeat the process, until the stain comes clean.
4. Baking soda is also effective at cleaning a smelly carpet. Sprinkle baking soda over the entire carpet and simply vacuum after 30 minutes. Voila, the smell should be gone!
5. Use an ice cube to harden wax or chewing gum stuck on the carpet, and then gently scrape it off.
6.Also try the Mitey Fresh non-toxic carpet cleaning services. It is a unique treatment using an advanced filtration system, with commercial strength vacuum.
The life of carpets depends on the care they receive. Cleaning carpets naturally will keep them looking beautiful and improve the indoor air quality in your home as well.
For more information on maintaining your carpet, read the The Carpet and Rug Institute website.
Photo credit: Grant Cochran, freedigitalphotos.net