The Allergy Epidemic in Australia and New Zealand
Home Allergens are a major health problem in Australia and New Zealand. As per a 2007 report by the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) –
- Almost 20% of the Australian population has had at least one allergic disease
- In Australia and New Zealand, 1 in 5 of children and 1 in 10 of adults displays symptoms of asthma.
- Eczema (form of skin allergy) affects 1 in 6 children aged 6-7 years and 1 in 14 adults.
Allergies can result in relatively mild allergic conditions ranging from watery eyes, nasal congestion, headache, and skin rashes, to severe symptoms such as anaphylaxis and recurring asthma.
Allergy experts state that certain forms of allergies can make an individual vulnerable to developing other allergies. For instance, children who develop eczema can go on to develop more worrying allergies such as asthma and allergic rhinitis (an allergic inflammation of the nasal airways caused by dust, pollen, and animal dander). Incidentally, allergic rhinitis affects 40% of the Australian population.
Identifying the cause of allergies is an essential part of treating allergic diseases. For some people the cause of allergy may be obvious, but in most cases, the affected person will need to get a skin prick or blood allergen test to determine the allergy trigger.
5 Common Home Allergens
If someone in your family is prone to allergies, ensure that your home is free from these commonly found home allergens.
1. House Dust mites: Dust mites are present everywhere in your home. These tiny microscopic creatures live in your mattresses, furniture, bedding, curtains, and carpets. Dust mites thrive in warm and humid conditions. While you cannot get rid of dust mites, you can significantly reduce the level of dust mite infestation in your house.
2. Pet dander and hair: Some people are susceptible to the allergy-producing proteins found in animal hair and dander (dead skin that animals shed). The allergy may be triggered by presence of cats, dogs, birds, horses, guinea pigs, mice, and rabbits. Your home can have these allergens even if you don’t have an animal at home. Pet dander and hair can enter your home as debris stuck to clothing and shoes of visitors to your house.
3. Mould and mildew: Mould and mildew is commonly found in bathrooms, refrigerators, basement and other areas which tend to be damp and have little air-circulation. Mould is more likely to grow on plants, cooked food, fruits, and raw vegetables. Besides being harmful to health, the presence of fungi is also bad for the structural safety of your home.
4. Pollen: The height of the grass pollen season in Australia and New Zealand occurs between September and December. Pollen usually occurs between 6 am and 12pm. Like pet dander, it can be difficult to protect your home from pollen.
5. VOCs: Volatile organic compounds are present in various things found in our homes. For example, couch, mattresses, Teflon kitchen pans, hand wash liquids, and detergents, to the vinyl shower curtains, carpets, canned foods, and perfume. The presence of these indoor air pollutants can result in several health issues such as nasal congestion, headaches, and dizziness. Excessive long-term exposure to VOC’s can also lead to cancer and impact the liver and central nervous system.
Thankfully, you can take several steps to reduce the presence of these home allergens. In fact, you can buy home allergen-fighting products right here on MiteyFresh. These include:
- Dust mite proof bedding
- Dust mite covers
- Non-toxic, environmentally safe cleaning products
- Chemical free carpet, lounge and quilt cleaning
- Air purifiers
- Chemical free laundry powder
- Microfibre cloths
To order simply select a product you want, and pay online. Any product you order (between Monday and Thursday) through our website will reach you within 2 days. Contact us today for more information on how to make your home healthier and allergen free for your family.
Towards healthier living Carol Parr ♥
As a result of working with me, women and their families thrive, work places and their personnel prosper, mouldy and chemical / electrical sensitive occupants heal. They’re healthier, they’re alert, they’re happier, more relaxed, more productive, and enjoying life.
Together we bring about healthy indoor environments and create rooms that provide calmness, healthy sleep, relaxation and restored energy for you and your family, create workplaces that provide ideal personnel attendance and elevated productivity.
By returning indoor spaces to more natural conditions, we strengthen you and your family and your personnel’s mind, body and spirit. It’s nice that it also sustains our planet’s ecology, you’d agree.
You can find my latest enterprises by clicking here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/carolparr