We spend most of our time either at work or at home, indoors. While environmental pollution has always been a topic of much discussion, we tend to give little or no thought to the pollution that is present in our homes.
Indoor air pollution is one of the leading causes of respiratory diseases such as asthma and allergies. Poor indoor air quality is especially adverse for young children and the elderly.
Indoor air pollution is caused by smoke, pet dander, dust, allergens, mould, vocs and chemicals present in cleaning and personal grooming products. Did you know pet dander can be present in your home, even if you do not own a pet? Fortunately, you can take preventive steps to improve the indoor air quality in your home.
Here are five easy ways to create a healthier home environment
1. Keep your home dust free and clean
- Clean the floor using a damp instead of a dry mop.
- Minimize items in your home such as figurines, artificial flowers, magazines, books, and unused upholstery.
- Use a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) vacuum cleaner, with power head, strong suction and double-layered micro filter bag. For best results, vacuum your home 2 to 3 times a week. Also, clean the vacuum filter regularly.
- Place door mats at each entrance to reduce the number of external pollutants brought in by people entering your home. If a family member suffers from allergies or asthma, it is advisable to keep shoes and slippers at the door, and request all visitors to do the same.
2. Maintain the humidity level
Allergens and mould thrive in a damp and warm environment. Keep the relatie humidity level in your house at less than 55 %.
Round the clock protection when you need it most! Reduce mould, mildew, dampness, condensation, odours. Relieve hayfever, sinus headache, influenza, sneezing, itchy eyes, stuffy nose, coughing, allergic rhinitis, asthma symptoms any time of year!
[button open_new_tab=”true” color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”https://www.miteyfresh.com.au/product/dehumidifier-hire/” text=”BUY NOW with Mitey Fresh” color_override=””]
- Immediately repair any water leakages from the roof, drain pipes, or appliances in your home.
- Install exhaust fans in high-moisture areas such as kitchen and bathrooms.
Eliminates moisture, damp and musty smells safely and naturally from any wardrobe or room. Reduce mould, mildew, dampness, condensation, odours. Relieve symptoms any time of year! Around the clock protection.
[button open_new_tab=”true” color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”https://www.miteyfresh.com.au/product/zeolite-packs/” text=”BUY NOW with Mitey Fresh” color_override=””]
3. Minimize the chemical air pollutants in your home
- Instead of harsh chemicals, use alternative cleaning products such as fermeted white vinegar and baking soda to remove stubborn stains in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Avoid buying home maintenance and personal grooming products that contain aerosol.
Get back to basics and DIY! All the ingredients you need to make your own SAFE and EFFECTIVE cleaning products. The good old basics that our grandmothers used to clean with!
[button open_new_tab=”true” color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”http://www.naturallyhome.com.au/p/naturally-home-diy-homemade-cleaning-products-box/NH-1359″ text=”BUY NOW with Naturally Home” color_override=””]
- Ensure that there is adequate air ventilation in the house.
- Instead of using synthetic air laundry fresheners, place sliced lemon in the kitchen and appliances such as your fridge, to keep the air smelling fresh!
- Do not leave the lawn mower or the car running in idle.
4. Grow some indoor plants
Placing plants into the home such as aloe vera, chrysanthemum, spider plant, fig, Chinese evergreen, bamboo palm, is a great way to keep the air in your house toxic free. Avoid over watering plants and mould.
Find some great indoor plant options at your local garden centre- these are a selection that we recommend you look out for.
[button open_new_tab=”true” color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”https://www.onlineplants.com.au/index.php?route=product/search&search=spathiphyllum” text=”BUY NOW with Mitey Fresh” color_override=””]
5. Install an air purifier system
An air purifier filters the bacteria, mould spores, dust and pollen, and improves the air quality in your home.
E20 PLUS includes an additional final stage 6kg carbon filter for applications requiring heavy duty chemical & odour removal. Excellent for removing pollution from main roads, smoke and mycotoxins produced by mould spores.
[button open_new_tab=”true” color=”accent-color” hover_text_color_override=”#fff” size=”large” url=”https://www.miteyfresh.com.au/product/airclean-e20-plus/” text=”BUY NOW with Mitey Fresh” color_override=””]
Are you concerned about the standard of air quality in your home? Claim your FREE Online Home Health Check by entering your name and email in the sign up box in the website footer. A Mitey Fresh Healthy Home consultant can evaluate your home, discuss your family’s needs, and help you create a solution.
Towards healthier living, Carol Parr ♥
As Building Biologists, we have acquired knowledge of adverse health effects and recommend effective strategies to reduce occupants’ exposure by eliminating and controlling as many sources of pollutants in order to create healthy indoor living environments that are as exposure-free and natural as practically possible.
Photo credit: jannoon 028, freedigitalphotos.net